Sel Roti is a traditional Nepalese bread,which is shaped like a round donut. However, Sel Roti is thin and larger.
The Sel Roti is made and offered at Dashain and Tihar festivals, wedding receptions and other ceremonies throughout Nepal. This is an essential food for most Nepalese cultural and traditional events.
To make your Sel Roti, you will need:
- (2-4) cups Uncooked rice
- (2-4 ) tbsp. Sugar (according to your preference)
- 3 tbsp. Ghee (clarified butter)
- 1/2 cup Milk (optional)
- 1/2 cup water (Using water instead of milk will give the roti longer shelf life)
- Wash the rice and soak it overnight.
- To make the batter, drain the excess water in the morning.
- In a mixer grinder add rice,ghee,sugar and grind it together.
- Grind for about 3-4 minutes until it becomes paste.
- After that stir the batter continuously.If it's on a thicker side add more water but if it's on a thinner side add more rice flour,until the paste is fine and greasy.
- Use Funnel or Cut the top part of a plastic bottle to drop batter.
- Add ghee or oil in a pan and heat it.The pan should be deep enough to float Sel Roti and the base should be flat.
- Drop the batter through a funnel around the corners of the pan making it a circle.
- Deep fry until golden brown.
Happy Tihar to Everyone from Ne Nepal Team.